Acetaminophen Clinical Guidelines and Studies
These links and downloads include guidelines on acetaminophen's role in pain management and useful overviews of TYLENOL® products. Also featured: abstracts from a wide range of recent studies on osteoarthritis care.
Professional Guidelines on Pain Management
These organizations have recommended acetaminophen as a first–line treatment for a range of conditions:
"For many patients with OA, acetaminophen is conditionally recommended as a first-line treatment for pain relief of the knee or hip."
Persistent Pain in Older Adults
"Owing to its greater safety than traditional NSAIDs, acetaminophen is recommended as a first-line therapy for management of osteoarthritis and lower back pain in older adults."
In Musculoskeletal Pain in Known Cardiovascular Disease
Acetaminophen is recommended for musculoskeletal symptoms with known cardiovascular disease or risk factors for ischemic heart disease.
*The American College of Rheumatology is an independent professional, medical, and scientific society that does not guarantee, warrant, or endorse any commercial product or service.
- TYLENOL® Professional Product Monograph
- Comprehensive monograph covers pharmacology, dosing, safety and efficacy, overdose management, and more.
McNeil Consumer Healthcare
- Efficacy of Acetaminophen 1,000 mg vs Acetaminophen 650 mg
- In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, single-dose study, acetaminophen 1,000 mg provided significantly greater efficacy in treating postsurgical dental pain compared with acetaminophen 650 mg and placebo.
Qi DS, May LG, Zimmerman B, et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of acetaminophen 1,000 mg versus acetaminophen 650 mg for the treatment of postsurgical dental pain. Clin Ther. 2012;34(12):2247-2258.
Management of Acetaminophen Overdose
- Guidelines for the Management of Acetaminophen Overdose
- McNeil Consumer Healthcare
- Nomogram for acute acetaminophen overdose
- McNeil Consumer Healthcare
Framingham on Osteoarthritis: Comprehensive Care
These three collections present abstracts of nearly 60 relevant recent studies in OA care. A broad range of topics is represented.
Framingham on Osteoarthritis: Comprehensive Care is an educational initiative supported by McNeil Consumer Healthcare, the makers of TYLENOL®.
- Framingham on OA, Issue 1
- Topics include: recommendations for treatment of hand OA; meta–analysis of chondroitin studies; validation of the short–form WOMAC; review of prognostic factors for progression of knee OA, and more.
- Framingham on OA, Issue 2
- Topics include: The Rotterdam Study and metabolic factors' effect on hand OA; etoricoxib compared with naproxen; meta–analysis of acupuncture for knee OA, and more.
- Framingham on OA, Issue 3
- Topics include: 2008 Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OARSI) consensus guidelines; short-measure physical function form for hip OA; clinical comorbidity and physical function in OA; new methods of measuring joint space width in hand radiographs, and more.